Google

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - A review

First let me say that Sophie and I view the Indiana Jones movie as an event more so than just your run-of-the-mill sequel. So if you really enjoy the Indiana Jones movies than go see it in the theatre you really won't be that disappointed. This was the first time I have seen one of the Indy movies in the theatre so it was kind of a treat. Now to the stuff that makes the movie less than spectacular. Harrison Ford does a good job being Indy, but he isn't the same. The time frame is sometime around the 1950's after WWII and you get a little background that Indy served during the war, but some of the exploits are just glanced over. His new enemy is the Russians, the series has dumped the Nazis as the old enemy since they would no longer be relevant in the time frame. Anyway Harrison does a good job because he is 20 years old than the last time Indiana Jones appeared on the big screen. It is noticeable, but I think you have to look at Indiana Jones as a bigger than life personality and someone who could transcend the aging issue. So yeah Indiana is older, but it's cool. The movie starts to fall apart around the skulls in my opinion and don't get me wrong it isn't a total collapse, but the idea is that the skulls are from space. I won't go into any more detail than that other than to say that I thought the plot was on the edge of believability and the ending put the movie way over the edge. WAY over. Other than the ending I thought it was around a 4 to 4.5 out of 5 but the ending took the final ranking down to 3.5 out of 5. If you're just a casual Indiana Jones fan I would say definitely wait 'til this comes out on DVD, but it is good enough to watch. I don't know if them bringing Shia Lebouf on as Indiana's "friend" in this one is prepping him to take over the series, but he did hold his own in his action scenes. The swinging through the jungle was a little over done though. Also Indiana's dad died, which if you saw the third movie didn't make any sense because he drank from the holy grail, right? I mean I guess if he got caught in some horrible combine accident that makes sense, but the cause of his demise is never touched on in the movie. Oops I guess.

1 comment:

hoyhoy said...

And, Marcus Brody was dead too. Why didn't they just fill a canteen up with some damn Holy Grail water? Or, does the water have to be poured out of the grail directly to give it healing powers?