Google

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

My Jury Duty Experience

It turns out Jury Duty really isn't that bad, especially if you don't end up having to participate in the trial.  Basically all I had to do is show up endure about an hour and a half of jury selection and then leave.  It was neat to see the procedure of the court and be a part of the system.  It was a good thing they had as many people there though, as there were about 10 deferrals in order to get 8 jurors.  It was a civil trial and the one lawyer asked if any of the jurors had ever contributed to TORT reform and I was thinking 'no, but I'll take up collection if it gets me out of here'.  Just kidding it wasn't that bad, but the whole time the jury members are being dismissed you keep thinking 'who's next' and they're reading off a list so it isn't like avoiding eye contact is going to keep you out of it.  But the judge started out asking questions, then the lawyers had a turn, then they got to boot people without cause, re-screen some more jurors and then pick and alternate.  The judge was good about all the people that couldn't be impartial and in the end he called the seat that everyone was vacating 'the hot seat'.  I didn't have any problems though I just kind of sat there in my "I'm not prejudice, I hate everyone" T-shirt waiting for my name to be called, but it never was.  So I didn't get out until 11:00 and by then it was too late to do any good at work so I just took the rest of the day off, and went home to celebrate with my $30.00.  

No comments: