Google

Monday, December 01, 2008

My first "Brawl"

Hans scored some tickets to the Pitt vs. WVU game, which is commonly referred to as the 'Backyard Brawl'. Clever huh. I didn't realize how much bad blood there was between the teams, but they really don't like each other. We were sitting behind a row of WVU fans and as the pre-game ceremonies were going on the one guy was flipping off the band and some of the parents there for senior day, class stuff. So natural when they started yelling the 'Let's goooooo, Mountaineers' chant I felt obliged to join in or else suffer the consequences. Then the game was starting and these dudes were still standing up and since I don't really care about either of the teams I wanted to stay seated, so Hans and I did a little 'reverse seat stealing' and we moved all the way up to the top of the stadium to the last row of seats. At least we could see the field now. I don't know that the top was any colder than the three rows below where we would have been, but it was definitely cold and the wind was blowing. About 10 minutes before halftime the stadium really started filling up though and apparently the seats we had taken belonged to someone else, and they actually wanted them back. I guess they had tried the old regular seat stealing method and it didn't work so they were coming back to get their seats. Well we decided to go ahead down and get some Quaker Steak and Lube wings, before the half ended. I got the hot wings (they really weren't all that hot) and Hans got the L.A. lickers (no real point in me mentioning this I just wanted to write lickers). Anyway during halftime we went and sat with Hans' dad and Uncle who we had come up with us. We sat next to them until we got kicked out again and then we went inside and ate. After we finished we debated going all the way back to the top of the stadium, but we had decided to try the ramp at the open end of the stadium so we could at least watch the game on the way up. We got up the ramp to where we could see and basically stopped there and watched the rest of the game. It was extremely windy where we were at, but at least we could see. We missed Pat White's run while we were on the ramp, but I did catch 'Shady' McCoy running into the endzone with less then a minute left. That was neat, then we got out of the there to beat traffic. I know, 'what if WVU pulled off the most amazing comeback and I missed it because we left early'. 'Oh well' - I guess, because fortunately WVU was able to lay down and take another beating for the second year in a row. Another thing I didn't realize was that Pitt had some affinity for the song 'Sweet Caroline', where during the chorus they yell 'Let's go Pitt' and also 'Go Pitt, Go Pitt, Go Pitt', pretty hardcore stuff. One final impression about my first visit to Heinz field. I was kind of surprised by the structure at first as it looked very minimalistic it is design, because it wasn't completely boxed in like some stadiums, in fact on the side facing the river where the score board is there is no wall at all, allowing the wind to just rip right through the stadium. Aside from that all of the Steeler stuff made me want to hurl all over one of the terrible towels that was hanging around. What a dump. It looks pretty on the outside, but that is about it, the one ramp is terrible because you can't see anything and the other ramps are terrible because you get tore apart from the wind. Three Rivers was much better. Way to go Pittsburgh you deserve this stadium.

No comments: