Google

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

MMA Tomorrow

I am getting excited about some of the upcoming MMA battles, including the match up tomorrow of Miguel Torres (one of my fav's) vs. unbeaten Manny Tapia. Tapia's power is an equalizer of sorts as he could stop Torres in much the same way Faber was stopped by Mike Brown, but I hope Torres wins. I have been looking at the pound for pound rankings a lot lately too and it seems there is real debate about who is better between Fedor or Silva. My personal choice is Fedor, because he really has never been beaten so it is impossible to say that his game has any weak points, at least to the point where someone has been able to exploit them for a victory. His only "loss" was due to a cut by an illegal elbow, that normally would have resulted in a no-contest, but since it was a tournament someone had to win and since Fedor was bleeding badly he couldn't continue. Even though he probably could have ended the fight in 60 more seconds if he had to. Silva on the other hand has been beaten 3 times legitimately and even though he is on a roll now I still don't think he is unbeatable like Fedor is. Fedor has already beaten the #2 ranked guy twice as well as put a beat down on the former UFC champ Sylvia in 36 seconds. So yeah he is a pretty bad dude. The only other argument I would make is for BJ Penn if he beats St. Pierre, which I think he will, because he would be the belt holder in two different divisions. Which pound-4-pound speaking is pretty impressive. I think the 'Prodigy' will beat 'Rush' because he lost to 'Rush' via split decision the last time they fought, so I think he'll be more motivated and also BJ is a better striker and is really trying a lot harder than he has in the past. He just seems more focused to me and baring a catastrophic mental collapse I can't see him losing. Plus this time it is 5 rounds.

No comments: