Google

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Giving Blood

I had the opportunity to give blood seven times in '07, but due to untimely illnesses and travel I will only be able to give 6 times. So far I have given 26 times total, which may or may not sound like a lot, but I have only been giving blood since 2001. I remember when I started it was right after 9/11 and Sophie and I both went and by 2:00 PM they had met their quota of 60. That was the last time I was ever turned away because they had met their quota. The first time I actually gave was November 11th 2001, and I just happened to be off work that day when they called. So I went to Stuebenville and gave blood, ate a snack, and passed out. When I came to it kind of seemed surreal and I told them to put the blood back in, but they never did, I was joking anyway. For a time after that they didn't call, and I thought maybe I was 'black listed' from giving since I passed out, but eventually they called and now I try to give blood every 8 weeks or 56 days, which ever comes first. I wanted to start giving blood before I did, but I just couldn't make myself do it. My dad got a lot of blood when he was fighting cancer and I remember being real grateful for the people that were giving their blood, and now I just feel like maybe I am doing some good in somebody else's life. Maybe someday I'll need blood and thanks to someone who was willing to give a little bit of themselves I'll be able to take it and not feel bad about it in the least. You just have to hope that in the end you were able to give more than you take. I am sure wherever my blood ends up that the people are pretty happy and probably a little more energetic. See I don't drink or smoke and I always have a little Mountain Dew in the old system so when they get that blood I bet they get a little kick in the pants too. If only there were some way to market my blood like an energy drink... or if someone got my blood and they were grateful they could give the ads a click then we could call it even, yeah that'll work. Anyway giving blood now is just like going to visit with some old friends I know Sis and Blanche and they always give me some extra snacks to bring home for the kids, and one of the nurses is a Tony Stewart fan, so you know you've got good people there. Anyway I am going to try to give as long as I am able and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Happy Holidays, 'Tis the season for giving.

No comments: