Google

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sampson Scores his first points

Saturday finished the season for the old M.F.C.Y.F.F.L. (Martins Ferry Civics Youth Flag Football League) and the buckeyes came in 3rd. Sampson got to run the ball for the first time, or maybe the second time this year, but either way it was the first time he scored in flag football. It was so exciting and unexpected even though they were playing 8 on 8 since the other team didn't have all their players. Then he hiked the ball and even played quarterback some. It was really exciting to see him do everything, did I already say exciting? I guess it was just really awesome to see him do stuff for the first time and see him succeed at it. Then he scored again later when he got the ball and it was awesome because he started to the right and he seen a bunch of people there so he cut it back to the left side of the field and it was wide open and he ran it in untouched. Sorry for all the conjunctions there, but it was pretty exciting (man there is that word again) to see him score again. The coach looked over at me at goes "Why didn't you tell me he could do that?" and the truth is I didn't know he could. I mean I would like to think he could do that, but until he did it I didn't really know he was capable of pulling that off. Which is kind of ironic because when I look at him I just see so much potential and I really think that someday he can do whatever he wants, the sky is the limit. But I almost don't want him to depend to much on sports I want him to concentrate more on school, because I know if he works hard at that I can really help him. When it comes to sports I try to help, but I know if he is successful it will have more to do with him then it will with me. Not that that is a bad thing, but old dad wasn't exactly an all-star on the field of play. I mean the only sport I really enjoyed was basketball and it gave me nothing but hardship. I guess he gets his sportiness from his mother, which is cool, because it means he isn't an exact clone of me and all that potential hopefully means he'll end up better off than old dad. Not that dad isn't happy, but there is nothing I want more than for my kids to end up better than me.

Ok that got a little philosophical there but all good stuff. Anyway Sampson's old team ended up winning the championship, but we didn't stick around cause we wanted to go watch Astro Boy. Our chairs ended up sticking around though because Sophie traded our seats for a couple of pictures with her friend Trisha's camera. Sophie didn't bring a camera because it was a little overcasty (oh come on google overcasty is so a word, ah overcast would have worked, but I leave this here to see my thought process, "exciting" stuff huh?) and since we had good seats because we were at the early game it was a fair trade. I might post some pics later once I get some good ones. I got a couple on my phone, but they aren't that great.

Oh two more things. 1) When Sampson was asked where he learned that cut back move he said he got that from dad, because dad taught him to run where the people weren't. I guess dad did help a little there. 2) Shoot what was I going to say here, oh yeah since we were playing in the 3rd and 4th game all the pressure was off so to speak, even though this is still like an instructional league and there really shouldn't be any pressure. And since the pressure was off everybody got a chance to run the ball and hike the ball and sometimes during the regular season it is hard to get everybody the ball. Especially if the game is close or the first year kids don't really understand what they are doing, but it does make for a much more interesting game. Also I think the kids get into it a lot more and since Coach said at the beginning of the season everyone was going to get to run the ball I was glad to see it actually happen. I would have hated for him to promise that and then not been able to deliver because we "had to win at all costs". Anyway I thought it was great and was glad that it happened, even if it meant we played for 3rd, because that way the season ended on a really good note.

No comments: