Google

Saturday, October 10, 2009

MMO RPG Reviews

I finally finished Evony. Well I quit playing anyway, which should be obvious since I am blogging again. So I finally figured out that the deal with MMORPG's is that there is no way to get out. They just kind of drag on for ever and ever, and you get to a point were you have done everything you wanted to and there just isn't anything else to accomplish. Evony ended up being pretty good one of the best things about it is the alliance chat, i don't like the idea of being attacked when your not online and because people are from different areas it becomes very easy for them to attack you when you are sleeping. Unless you never sleep which didn't seem to be a very good option for me. The other thing I didn't like was the war system itself. Once you get an army to a certain size it becomes unsustainable and the only thing you attack on a regular basis is NPC's. Granted it takes a while to get there, but then you have to keep your army up to defend yourself. Then the bigger alliances just get a bunch of their member to send 100k troops at a time to bring your defenses down. I achieved the highest population in the game for a short period, before I started getting attacked by an old alliance, conveniently while I was off line, but I had already decided to quit by then anyway. Someday I may recap the story of my old buddy Casca Van Furey and how he held the evil VersusB alliance at bay when I was off line, lol.

So after I quit evony I was looking for something that didn't require as much time, that you could play when you wanted to and was failure secure if you were off line. So I started playing Tribal Wars, but it is like a watered down evony, without the alliance chat. I don't really care for it but I log on every once and a while and upgrade stuff. I guess I need to upgrade my army in that game too since I just got attacked.

Next I tried Tagoria, which is just a game where you control one single player. You complete quests and fight other people in order to gain experience and gold. It is all text based too essentially, as it is your stats versus someone else stats. It at least is a fairly quick game, but it gives you something to do on a day to day basis. you can only attack every 10 minutes or so then you just wait so not too bad, but definitely not the most exciting game on the web.

Then I found Dogs of the Seas. This game is fairly unique among the MMO's as you actually take the battles in your own hands. You pilot your own ship, complete missions and look for treasure. You have your own home base that you can build ships in and cannons and when you need supplies you can go out and plunder or fight an NPC. And if you were really skilled you could take down a bigger ship with a smaller one as it is not completely based on text stats. I reminds me of the old pirates game I had for the Tandy 1000SL. Anyway your home base is protected when you are off line (yeah) and you only put at risk the ship you are sailing. You could also join up with an alliance and double team or triple team an enemy. But if you are good I think you could pretty much get out of anything as you could navigate back to your home base or to a protected area. It seems like a pretty decent game at least, probably the best of the ones I have played so far.

No comments: