Google

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Republican Debates

Well the focus group in South Carolina afterwards thought that Fred Thompson was the winner and then they had a text vote and Ron Paul was winning by like 12%. I have some reservations about that vote though, as it was probably a bunch of liberals or something just voting for who they thought was the worst candidate. Anyway, I only caught a little bit of it an then the last 1/2 hour. I thought Mitt didn't look too bad, and my only concern with Thompson is the lack of a serious record - long term record. He was only a senator for 8 years and I am not voting for a senator, who hasn't even completed 2 terms, for President. Which leaves Ron Paul completely out because he was only a Rep. in Texas. I think you have to at least manage a state or be a senator for a while before you can be president. Which basically rules out all of the Democrats for me, Barrack, Hillary and John Edwards have only achieved Junior Senator status. The only trump card is that Hillary has spent 8 years 'around' the White House, but I question how much impact she had in the decision making process. I think we all know Bill was quite capable of going out on his own ;-). Then you look at Rudy and he was the Mayor of New York which has a larger population than most states, but my problems with Rudy are that he is Pro-choice and that his private life has kind of been in turmoil since he was elected mayor. He hasn't kept in touch with his son and he got divorced and stuff and it just seems like if you want to be president and run the country you have to first be able to run your own life (during this point in the blog there was a power outage so I kind of lost my train of thought). Well tomorrow is Michigan and the Media says that 'Romney has to win or else', but he did already win one state... 5 points to anyone with the correct answer. . . it was Wyoming. Not many delegates, but he is in the point lead now. I think Michigan will be between Mitt and John and South Carolina will go about the same way with maybe Thompson getting a little more recognition in the South. Rudi will come in towards the back of the pack in both states, but the way things are shaping up if Rudi doesn't win Florida he could be out by Super Tuesday. And I think Romney would stand to pick up more of the support than McCain. Once Huck goes out maybe after Florida, Mitt has a better shot. I kind of think that is how it is going to end up, sort of like the last two elections where you just vote for the person you hate the least. My real feeling though is that the general election will come down to the choice of V.P.'s for both of the primary winners. Well that is enough about this already it is only January!!!

No comments: