Google

Thursday, January 02, 2020

Wim Hof and MAF training

I have started doing the Wim Hof breathing method.  Basically you take 30 deep breathes without fully exhaling and at the end of the breaths you hold your breath after the last exhale.  You can hold for a minute or minute and a half or even longer if you can.  The idea is that when you are holding your breath there is a blood chemistry change as the blood is becoming saturated with CO2.  Right after the deep breathing the blood and tissues should be saturated with oxygen, which will gradually get exchanged for carbon dioxide.  Allegedly this is making the blood more alkaline, but wouldn't a carbon dioxide reaction (even in blood) make an acid?  Regardless the pH of the blood is changing through this interaction and is supposed to help fight off infections.  At least it is supposed to when you do it in conjunction with taking cold showers / ice baths.  Kinda sounds like it sucks right?  It isn't that bad, but finding a time to take cold showers can be a little difficult depending on what you have going on.  I also have decided to not do the snooze alarm any more.  I just get up, and go and do the breathing first thing.  Trying to stay in an alpha state right after I wake up.  I have found that by completing routine tasks this is made easier.  Any interaction with a digital device may through you out of this state.  After I do the breathing I will meditate for about 10 minutes, then try and take that cold shower.  So I have about 30-40 minutes tied up in this new routine but it does make me feel better, at least when I get enough rest.  Trying to do this on a short night's sleep is not advisable.  I have also kind of soured on the MAF training.  I think it is a great thing to do, but I don't think I am a good enough runner to try this.  I think this is more for people that already know how to run, because I find that my efficiency is very low running at the rate to keep my HR low.  And I know that the idea is you are training the aerobic engine to be better so that it will work more efficiently when needed, but man is it hard.  I tried to incorporate some interval training back in this week and I just didn't see the benefit, but I did seem much slower than before when I was doing intervals, and I think this is because I haven't been pushing myself and I'm not that good of a runner to start with.  Now one day after that I did try a longer run and ran with some pace at the end.  That felt a little better at the faster pace, but couldn't keep the HR down.  So I am going back to the drawing board to try and run with more speed to try and get my form fixed and then maybe go back to the low HR method.  Anytime I am running slow though I will try and keep my HR down as much as I can.

No comments: