Google

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Cemetery First Run

So pretty pscyched for training after the race last week, and am picking it up to make up for that 2 seconds.  Anyway I am using the Map My Run app from Under Armor and am experimenting with the courses and training features.  Basically you can set up your own training program, set the days of the week and kind of what your goal is, plus it uses your past performance to gauge where you need to train.  I used it for my last race, but because my watch wasn't syncing the workout, I needed to run the phone and watch at the same time.  Anyway this lead to having duplicate workouts get logged, and I had to delete the one which was synced to the program.  I could always go back and resync the watch work out, but didn't always do it.  This time I am going to try and do better and logging the workouts so it can put me on the correct path. One other feature of the map my run is that you can create a route and load it to the phone.  Now I tried this with the cemetery loop and it wouldn't map the whole thing because there was no road to the school, so I had to do it in two parts.  Well the loop was about 5 miles and I wanted to step up the old training so I figured it would be a good loop to run up the cemetery hill and then back down all the way to the house.  My muscles said it may not have been a good idea.  See I had run the cemetery before, but I drove to the school, would run down the cemetery and then back up.  The difference on this run is I ran to the bottom of the cemetery, then ran up, then around the school and then down the big hill, back to the house.  I was reasonably pleased with the effort as the old legs were burning during the run, but this is probably the first time that was actually easier to run than walk that I have experienced.  I ran a mid 12 minute pace for the whole run (granted the uphill part was closer to 15/16 minutes) and it took about an hour, so I was really happy about that.  There are some other paths I can take as well to stretch the mileage out a little, plus if I needed to put a lap around the school in that would get me up to whatever mileage I would need.  I figure I can stretch the loop to around 6 and half miles if needed.  There is another loop around the same area that can do 8 pretty easier, but that is aways off.  Overall I don't feel bad after the run, like I thought I would, the weigh in this morning was also a low of 196.6 lbs. so that is good news.  The program I'm on I should take tonight off, and then test tomorrow for 12 minutes at race pace. We'll see how this progresses, but so far so good on the first big jump for me.

No comments: