Google

Friday, December 11, 2009

"Bones" Jones - Future LH Champion

I watched Jon "Bones" Jones on the ultimate fighter finale last Saturday and just let me say I think he is very impressive as a fighter. He is in that light-heavy weight division that is severly stacked, and even though he "lost" I honestly think that in the next 4 years he will be the light-heavy weight champion. No pressure kid. But seriously he really handled Matt Hamil and I thought Hamil was pretty decent. He ended up getting DQ because of illegal elbows, but that was after he beat Hamil in the mount for about a minute straight. He is extremely long and throws very high impact unorthodox shots from crazy angles. Right now I don't see a good defensive strategy because he can out reach you and he has the more dangerous wrestling background of Greco-Roman which is tough in MMA because they like the clinch around the waist and most regular wrestlers like to grapple higher or lower. Honestly because of the crazy 84" reach I don't know how you get to this guy, I guess just shoot early and hope for the best cause if the fight stays standing I'll take "Bones" in the first. But I just wanted to call it on the old blog that by the end of 2014 "Bones" will probably be hoisting the belt. I see a good match between maybe him and Cantewell as he is a good up and comer too. Then maybe a Jardine, which would be interesting because of the two unorthodox styles. Next would be Evans or Griffin and then Machida or Rua whoever isn't champ and maybe a few other fights in there for good measure but within the next four years it will be difficult to keep him out of a title shot, just like it was difficult to keep out Machida.

Also during the finale Kimbo Slice finally looked like an MMA fighter. He was down to 112 lbs. which is pretty impressive considering he is all muscle and only weighed about 230 before. He said he wanted to try and fight at 205, which would probably be better for him than fighting heavy weight, but he is definitely improved. I think he could probably beat Seth now straight up, but the top of the 205 lbs. ranks would give him fits. Houston Alexander was a little disappointing, because he's got that knockout power, but I think he over-thought the fight by trying to key on the leg so much. I think he should have keep throwing the kicks, but he kept distance too much. The circling the whole first round was just way too much for me. If anything the first round could have been 9-9 because of the lack of action. But I thought in the end when it came down to a decision that Kimbo should have won because if nothing else he controlled the center of the ring.

If you'd like to meet Mr. Jones here you go - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsy8aT--bGU&feature=related

No comments: