Google

Sunday, July 13, 2008

1st half fantasy update

Well the old baseball season is 1/2 over and my climb from the depths topped out at 3, and then all my players had to play on the road this last week so I am back to 5th. That's OK for now, it looks like Stevie is comfortably in first for the all-star break, so I've already formulated a plan for the first week of the second half. I only have about 6 moves left, so I am going to have to take a couple of chances and hope that no one ends up on the DL like in the first half. For having Pujols, Dice-K, Figgans, Hairston (dropped, and then picked back up), Pena, E. Aybar (dropped), Byrnes (out for season, probably) end up on the DL, I have done pretty good holding my own picking up people and managing with the injuries. My best acquisition so far is Aubrey Huff, who is having a great year. Other than that my pick-ups have pretty much been off the scrap heap. For next year though I may or may not play, but if I do then their definitely is not going to be a limit on moves when you are already limited by games and innings. It just makes it impossible when you get struck with injuries.

I have learned a couple of things since I started this fantasy stuff too. 1) The catching position is only gonna be good for about 5 teams in your league. If you don't have one of the top 5 guys then you might as well call that position a loss and try and find somebody decent who is going to play a lot. I got Jarrod Saltalamacchia out of the draft and he didn't play the first quarter of the season so I had to drop him and pick up somebody from Pitt who isn't playing any more, then I got J.R. Towles because he was great on MLB '08 the show and he ended up getting sent down to the minors. Then I got the bright idea to trade for Mike Napoli who is a platoon guy, but had 10 home runs and was on pace to have another 10 or 15 by the all-star game. Alas he ran into a major slump and then got dropped for Chris Ianetta of Colorado. Right now Chris is being platooned with a guy who is hitting .235 with 4 HR's, and I can't for the life of me understand why the Rockies aren't playing Chris more. It is maddening!! 2) It is worth the effort to go through the draft and deselect people you don't really want. 3) Pitchers deserve a couple of starts before you drop 'em, unless they've gone through something that is going to change their season, because they are going to have good games and bad games and when you are limited by moves you are going to have to take some bad games. 4) No matter who I target, when I wait to pick somebody up someone else will grab them. The latest person is Hiroki Kurodu. Who? Exactly, but as soon as I put the sights on 'em and come up with a plan to snag them, another team will come out of no where and grab them first. It did work out for me once when I was a day from picking up Elijah Dukes and somebody else grabbed him and then he tore up his knee. That's what you get though. So in a nut shell, wait for people just not to long and then cross your fingers.

No comments: