Google

Monday, April 14, 2008

Post #200

Well I promised something special for old post number 200, so here goes. I got nothing. I know I said I was going to do perpetual motion, but it turns out the Hero's fountain is based on pretty sound fluid dynamics, that can't be easily manipulated. So basically I decided that "perpetual motion" is kind of a misnomer. See you could have motion that lasts for a really really long time, but that just doesn't sound cool. I came to the realization that perpetual motion doesn't exist for a few reasons. One is erosion. If the pieces of this perpetual motion machine are made of solids eventually the solids will "rub" together during the motion causing the machine to fail. Two is vapor liquid equilibrium. If fluids are used, i.e. the Hero's Fountain, eventually the fluid will evaporate, unless there is a completely closed system free from the outer atmosphere. The only way I know how to do that is to weld a metal box around fluid system, but then you can't see the motion. Hey, that's it, I'll just weld a box closed and I'll have perpetual motion, or is it? I'd probably have to have someone from M&R weld the old box up though.

No comments: