Google

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Severed, Again

Today was 'S' day. Yesterday was Veteran's Day and I would just like to give a heart felt thank you to all the Vets who have served in the military and fought for this country. But today was Severance day. Why do I choose to share this, well why not. Being severed sucks! That is the only way to put it to be honest. They tell you that you've worked hard and they appreciate the job you did, but in the end it just wasn't enough. Oh and by the way you are going to lose your job in the next 60 days or so. We still you need you to show up, thanks. There is no other bigger de-motivator than to tell someone you are 'going' to lose your job. No prospects to even continue employment there, it is just over. It is like someone stabbing you with a knife, plunging it in as deep as it will go, but it doesn't hit any vital organs. Instead of an instant death the knife is slowly moved back and forth until it does hit an organ or you just bleed out. The only solution once the knife is in is to pull it out yourself. I will probably feel sorry for myself for a day or so, but that won't help me. I have to find another job now or contemplate a move to another part of the country or both. I am going to put my trust in God hands and allow him to show me the path I should take. The most disturbing thing is that the first time I was severed I could understand the logic - to operate the rolling metal of the metal had to be cold charged and it was extremely expensive to operate the mill long term like that. That at least makes sense. This time I have no good explanation. There is no transparent answer that is indefensible. Just a few vague descriptions of over capacity and slowing demand. The difference between Korean leadership and American leadership is easily distinguishable. Koreans will not shut down capacity in order to make a bottom line 'look' better and I emphasize the word 'look'. Americans are too short cited, and too eager to make a buck. Sometimes you have to take a hit and stand back up, it is the only way to get stronger. I just can't understand how the region could be profitable last qtr. and we spent 6 figures on a turn around just 3 weeks ago. I just can't wrap my head around the idea.
Oh and I was almost in a car accident on the way home. I honestly don't know how I made it out with out getting hit. I think my guardian angel must of defied the laws of physics. I was just listening to the radio too, I wasn't doing anything else like talking on the phone or texting, it was the closest I have ever been to being in an accident. Perhaps I was a little distracted by the events of the day, I do worry about the guys that have worked there for 20 or 30 years and have only done the jobs at that plant. In the end I believe that Sophie and the kids and me will be Ok, just sometimes I wish I knew what God's plan was ahead of time, but that would make it too easy.

No comments: